9.22.2008

I am absolutely exhausted. I thought we got to siesta here. What the heck.

Also my bug bites are growing. The pink part, not the red dots. They are getting grosser by the hours. I feel like the hardcore is wearing off..

I ate a guava from a tree before my last class. It was weird. It's like the texture of a not-quite-ripened pear. Sort of dry-tasting. I kind of liked it, though. This woman who works on campus showed us how to pick the ones that are green with a touch of yellow, and instructed us not to eat the pink middle because that's where the bugs are. And yes I did keep eating it after she said the bit about the bugs. It's fine.

This morning we came across a fat cluster of caterpillar-looking things that actually turned out to be beetles. It was so bizarre- they were all intertwined and moved together in their little clump. Then, when they feel a vibration, they all immediately freeze up as a unit. Apparently, they move together to make themselves appear to be a bigger creature to ward off predators, and then they stop when they feel any potential predators nearby. I took a video of it on my camera, but it's pretty unlikely that I will be able to post a video with the internet here.


It's been really cold today. I just put on my fleece because I can't take it anymore. It didn't rain so much today, though. I mean it rained but I was expecting more. So woo woo. But in case you were wondering, it is still outrageously beautiful even in the rain.

Today was the first day of classes. After lunch, I had Environmental Sociology with Dean, then Spanish with Carla, and I just finished up English with Jeff. Sociology is my biggest class. There are 5 of us in there. Then Spanish is one-on-one, and English is me, Cayman, and Ann. My Spanish class was basically tea with Carla, with friendly getting to know you chit-chat that happened to be spoken in [broken] Spanish. We take off our shoes to go into the classrooms here, so I spent most my classes being barefoot. I think all UGA courses should be like the classes here: ridiculously small, no shoes allowed, and professors are addressed by their first name. But that's just me.

There is a couple on campus from Holland. I got to chat with them a bit between classes. They are just in Costa Rica for three weeks on vacay. They speak no Spanish, and tried backpacking but it didn't work out. It was taking too long to get from place to place or something. But anyways the moral of the story is our campus houses anyone who wants to come stay here. So you should come visit me.

It's about time for dinner, and I know it's going to be incredible. I'll let you know what we ate later so you can envy me.

peace love and bug bites.

No comments: